Application Deadline: 31st December 2021
The Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI) was launched by the United States Government, to train the next generation of African Leaders who will shape the future of African business and entrepreneurship, civil society leadership, and public sector management.
The YALI Regional Leadership Centre (RLC) West Africa, Accra, offers you an innovative and game-changing Emerging Leaders training program in the following courses:
Business and Entrepreneurship
Civil Society Leadership
Public Sector Management
- Are 18 to 35 years of age at the time of application submission,
- Are citizens and residents of one of the following countries: Ghana, Nigeria, Togo, Ivory Coast, Cameroon, Liberia, Sierra Leone, The Gambia and Burkina Faso.
- Are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the U.S.
- Are eligible to receive any necessary visa to Ghana, and
- Are proficient in reading, writing, listening and speaking English.
Business and Entrepreneurship
This track caters to the range of emerging or aspiring entrepreneurs who expect to take on leadership roles within the private sector or build their own business ventures on the continent.
Civil Society Management
This track is oriented to those who are or aspire to be civically engaged and serve the public through non-governmental organizations, community based organizations, or volunteerism.
Public Policy and Management
This track is tailored to those who work or aspire to work in any level of government (including elected positions), regional organizations such as the African Union or the West Africa Community, international organizations such as the United Nations, or other publicly minded organizations or think tanks.
Selection Process and Criteria
Selection for participation in the YALI Regional Leadership Center West Africa will be conducted as a merit-based, open competition. All eligible applications will be reviewed by a selection panel. Chosen semi-finalists will then be interviewed before a final selection is made and an invitation to join the program is issued.
Selection panels will use the following criteria to evaluate applications:
- Demonstrated leadership in public service, business and entrepreneurship, or civic engagement.
- Active engagement in public or community service, volunteerism, or mentorship.
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and respect the opinions of others.
- Strong social and communication skills.
- An energetic, positive attitude.
- A demonstrated knowledge, interest, and professional experience in the sector/track selected, and
- A commitment to apply leadership skills and training to benefit your country and/or community after the program.
Applicants will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, ethnicity, color, gender, religion, socio-economic status, disability, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
If you are selected to participate in the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra program, all of the following expenses will be covered by the program:
- Visa to Accra (if required)
- Round-trip travel from your country of citizenship* to Accra, Ghana
- Transportation to/from Kotoka International Airport to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra, for all non-Ghanaian participants
- For Ghanaian, transportation to/from the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra will be provided for from your location of residence
- Customized academic and leadership course;
- Accident and sickness benefit plan during the course
- Housing and meals
* The Program will only cover your transportation costs to and from Ghana if you are residing within one of the countries served by the YALI Regional Leadership Center, West Africa – Accra. If you reside outside of the defined region, YALI will only pay the cost of transportation to/from Accra from your country of citizenship and you will be required to cover any additional costs
For More Information: