Zipline operates the worlds only drone delivery system at national scale, sending urgent medicines like lifesaving blood and vaccines to those in need, no matter where they live. Today, we’re operating across most of Rwanda and quickly spreading across Ghana, covering millions more people with better access to medicine.
Job Type: Full time
Qualification: BA/ BSc/ HND
Experience: 3 years
Job Field: Aviation
Application Deadline: Not specified
The Zips (our delivery drones) are the core of our business, and Flight Operators play a critical role in keeping everyone at our distribution centers and neighboring communities safe. This role is crucial to us because we are setting up new Distribution Centers, and need some incredible Flight Operators to make sure our drone deliveries are completed seamlessly.
WITHIN 1 MONTH: You will receive elite Zip training that includes professional courses as well apprenticeship with the rest of the Flight Ops team to learn on the job.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS: You will become a certified Flight Ops professional – Being able to handle Pre-flight, Post-flight, Launching Zips, and incident response alone, and have a thorough understanding of Zip hardware.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS: You will have mastered vehicle maintenance, troubleshooting recurring incidents and processes with the Africa-based and California-based teams. You will be responsible to contribute on a daily basis regarding process and vehicle improvements.
WITHIN 12 MONTHS: You will be looked to as someone to run the Nest, fielding questions from your team and helping onboard new apprentices coming on-board. Zipline is expanding rapidly, and peer-mentors will become a crucial part to scaling up
- Take Off: Conduct pre-flight inspection with Zips, Work with Flight Controllers to launch Zips, Prepare ground equipment for inbound Zips
- Drone & Technical Maintenance: Perform Zip field maintenance and repair any AVC that have experienced incidents
- Troubleshooting: Collaborate with locally-based and USA-based engineering team to troubleshoot & optimize issues
- Collaboration: Work with a team to scale drone deliveries to 100+ deliveries per day at one distribution center
- Minimum of High National Diploma (HND) or Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical/Electrical/Aerospace Engineering OR
- 3+ years working experience as a Maintenance Technician for Aircrafts, Power Turbines, Mining Equipment or other Complex Technical Equipment
- Full Professional Proficiency in spoken and written English
- Hands-On Attitude: Must enjoy hands-on work and be adept at working with mechanical or electrical systems
- Strength: You will be lifting up to 50lbs. objects regularly
- Poise: Maintain a cool head under high pressure situations
- Extremely process & detail-oriented
- Ability to maintain focus during extended daily flight operations
- Comfortable troubleshooting mechanical and electrical issues with complex, battery-operated machinery
- Training: Flight Operation team will go through a rigorous training process as part of the onboarding process. This training will be across multiple teams, so you will learn not only about customer success but also drone operations and fulfillment.
- Professional Development: Zipline is a fast growing startup and there will be many opportunities for you to rise as a leader, taking on more responsibility, and having more direct input into our processes and strategy
- Benefits: Zipline offers benefits to its team including health insurance, access to a library of management books, and more.